10/19/09

a horse is a horse of course!


Cody and I went to his parents this weekend to wean our little baby horses and also to set up a horse shelter for the winter. It was so much fun going out there and seeing how much our little horses have grown. And much to our delight they still remembered us and let us come right up to them. After all, a month roaming the land free with a whole herd of horses could make any horse forget humans. We had to walk the four of them back from the pasture to the house (a distance of a mile or so) and sure enough I got about half way and was too tired to walk more. Dumb belly! So I had a total pioneer moment and rode good old trusty Shadow the rest of the way back. Actually, saying that I rode her back is an overstatement. I pretty much just sat on her while Cody's mom led her and I felt like a little kid back on the pony ride at the fair. No one would let me just loop the rope and ride her on my own. Something about a hospital visit because of a horse kept being brought up. But I was sure grateful for the lift! We got back and brushed the babies down and pretty much just gave them some much needed loving. And much needed brushing because their winter coats are already coming in and they sure look shabby. I can't believe how huge they've gotten! Cody and I are going to have some seriously big horses (one perk of them being half draft horses :) They were so funny because they met their first cat and didn't know what to think. Pokie kept trying to get a good smell of him but he ran every time she tried so she figured out how to inch closer and closer to the cat and in the end decided that cats don't smell all that great anyway. So we had a wonderful weekend with Cody's parents and also with Cody's little sister Kaylee and her boyfriend Eric. Kaylee even got to feel the baby moving. And by the way he is moving a ton lately! I always tell Cody that it is the strangest feeling to have something alive and moving in my tummy. Seeing Cody's expression the first time he felt him move was priceless. Cody has always wanted to feel a baby move. He's a kicker too! He always seems to keep me in line and remind me not to let myself get too overworked or tired. We're still debating about a name so right now he continues to be baby boy to us. Cody's birthday is this Wednesday so if anyone wants to give a call and wish him a happy birthday I know it would mean a lot to him. Just be sure not to ask him how old he's turning. It's kind of a sore subject. Just kidding- he doesn't care much but I do take ever opportunity to tease him about it. By the way- for those trying to figure out which baby horse is which you'll notice that one of the babies has three white socks on her feet with a little while blaze on her nose. That's Pokie. And the one with just 1 white sock and bigger body is sweet, calm little Coco. Well everyone- my camera replacement came in so I'll be able to blog a bit more. A special thanks to my mom-in-law for letting me use her camera this weekend. Hope everyone is well! I love you all!








3 comments:

kelleyplus said...

What fun, horses to love! Sounds like a wonderful weekend with the family.
Love you-
Mom

Kyerra said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kyerra said...

(Sorry I deleted the other post cuz there was a part that sounded funny. *^^*) Anyway, I love the pics! And I used to always tell Logan that being pregnant always reminded me of the movie "Aliens" (though I've only seen a scene here or there.) Having something moving around inside me always feels so strange, just like a little alien ready to come out. *^^* I can just see Cody's reaction to feeling the baby move. I'm so excited for you guys and getting to be new parents! You're both going to be awesome parents! I'm looking forward to your next posting! Love you guys!