1/3/10

Update on our first babies!












































One fun activity that happened while we were at the Browers for Christmas was bringing the horses across the town to their winter pasture next to the house. Normally they're kept out in 39 acres to eat at their leisure but when enough snow falls they're brought up next to the house to be fed all winter. Unfortunately that involves "driving" the horses down the highway amidst cars passing. The only way this works is to take the main mare and gelding (male horse that's been fixed) and tie them to the truck and drive it slowly down the road. The rest of the horses won't leave the herd bosses so it's relatively risk free. And let me take this moment to stress to everyone reading this blog- if you see horses on the road- SLOW DOWN! We had people flying past the whole herd at 40-50 mph. I was just waiting for one of the baby horses to spooke and jump out in front of it. People would always do that in La Canada too when Melody and I would ride and it would blow my mind people could be so inconsiderate. Now you may be wondering how we can legally just turn the horses loose and run them down the road. Well it turns out that the county is a free range land so people use the main road to drive cows, sheep and horses all the time. Such a different kind of a place. Anyway, the horses all made it safely and the baby horses are getting SO big. I think we underestimated what a full blood draft horse would throw cause these babies are already catching up to their moms super fast. FYI- the pictures posted were taken by my new camera that I absolutely love. It is amazing what a difference it makes! One of my favorite pictures is of Pokies hooves. They have the coolest coloration to them! One of my favorite parts of the day was when little Coco was eating from the barn, just minding her own business and the lead herd mare Sugar came up and tried to drive her from the spot. Well Coco panicked and tried to jump through the feed opening only to discover that she is way to huge to accomplish such a feat so she took several more bites till she was able to get out of the way. I gave Sugar a real good scolding for it and afterward Coco came stumbling over to us with a shell-shocked look on her face. She just stayed next to us for some comfort and petting till she calmed down. Almost as if she asked "did you see what happened to me" and was looking for protection. Poor Coco is the most kind and gentle horse I've ever seen. I am sure that she will be a member of our family for a long time to come and she'll only be 1 year older than Gage so they will probably be best friends as well (hey a mom can wish!). So pregnancy wise I'm still measuring about a week ahead of where I should be so with any luck maybe this guy will come a little early. Especially since he's been nothing but trouble for the last little bit. I've moved into the swelling part of pregnancy and sadly that has ushered in the carpel tunnel part of pregnancy. It's not a very common affliction but let me tell you it's awful! My hands will go painfully numb in the night every half an hour unless I wear wrist braces all day and night. I also have to ice my wrists a couple of times a day or I don't sleep at night. As if pregnancy doesn't suck enough already! I guess it's just one way that God is able to make women look forward to labor. I've already hit the amount of weight that I wanted to gain with this pregnancy so that's a bit depressing. My doctor told me that if I eat very well for the next month then there's no reason why I need to gain anymore. I'm not sure how that will work out with the baby getting so much bigger everyday but I'd really like to keep my weight gain down as low as possible. Well I've taken to rambling so I'll close this post and tell everyone about what's going on with Law School next blog. Love you all!

5 comments:

Jupiter Family said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
andrea said...

These photos are amazing! I just want to jump into them and be with you! I noticed you are at 34 weeks already! Whoa where does the time go!? That is when I had Andin, he was a tiny thing. I love you and miss you, and would LOVE if you took a visit here once Gage comes :) I love you love you love you! Where will you be delivering? Is your mom coming for the delivery, or just after?

Unknown said...

What great pictures! And don't stress too much about gaining the next month, because I promise you will! The last month is stressful enough, don't add this to worry about.

kelleyplus said...

I got my plane reservations today. Yea!!! That baby can't come until Feb 6th at least!

Kyerra said...

Hey! So I know that you guys take good care of your horses, but painting it's nails??? Isn't that a bit much??? j.k. *^^* Enjoyed your post! Love you guys!