4/7/12

Potty Training and 26 week picture
























It's only been a couple of days but I'm just so proud of Gage that I can't wait to blog about it. He's potty training! I don't know what pushed me to start this week but I just kept thinking "I don't have to wait till he speaks in sentences before I start training" so I started two days ago and it's gone great! The hardest part was figuring out how to get him to use the toilet for the first time. Gage has a curious personality so I knew if he used it once he'd be hooked. So I filled him up on liquids, started curious george on my Kindle and we waited it out locked in the bathroom. The minute he started peeing on the ground I got all excited and made a big deal about getting it in the toilet. The first attempt went EVERYWHERE and was quite a clean up but sure enough he thought it was the coolest thing ever. And the candy as reward was pretty awesome too. I'm so glad that I started him standing up right from the beginning. A friend advised me to do it this way because sitting down was really hard for her son. So I built a platform that fit up against the toilet so he could be at optimal firing range. This morning we had our first poop episode. He pooped on the ground so I explained that poop goes in the potty too. So later in the day when he said poop to me we ran to the toilet and got the kid seat on in time for a quick drop in the toilet. That was equally facinating to Gage. So I'm thinking I'll leave him naked for another week while in the house and try undies once he gets it figured. Babycenter claims that leaving them naked at home is the best way to start so I'm going with that. Once again we have beautiful weather so he's happy to be pants-less. In fact I think it's his favorite part of potty training, even over the candy. Twice he's just gone on his own and has come up later to show me what's in the potty and I think that's the most encouraging thing of all. He likes it. And what little boy wouldn't? One site suggested putting blue food coloring in the toilet so with his urine it turns green and I thought that was pretty cleaver. The aiming at cherrio's might work for Gage but he hasn't missed the toilet for a couple of times so I don't think he needs it. So that's my rant about how awesome Gage is and how proud of him I am. Hopefully 4 months of potty training before the new baby is here will keep him from reverting back to diapers. I'm pretty sure it will. I just didn't want to be training with a new baby in the house and with my exhaustion level through the roof. Anyway, hopefully things will keep going good for us. The new baby is doing fine and I'm curious to see if I still measure 3 weeks ahead at my appointment on the 16th. I'm also super pumped because some friends are doing a shower for me May 19th and my mom is coming down for it, which really makes it all that much more special! The invitations we've decided on are to die for and I can't wait to get them ready and post a picture. K- I should probably go get Gage down for a nap. Just wanted to share.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You suck! Um, I mean congratulations he is doing so well... No, seriously that's great. Wish me continued luck with my THREE AND 1/2 YEAR OLD!

Clara said...

We are sooooo excited that potty training is going well! About the invites...I should be free to help put them together on Wednesday. Does that work for you? Let's talk!! I can't wait to get going on them....and with the shower only a month away it's time to get them done!! See you tomorrow!