5/28/09

Pokie is here!

Such exciting times!!! Cody and I have a new addition to our horse family! Allow me to introduce Pokie! That's right- I named her after my childhood imaginary friend. I know most kids have people as their imaginary friends but not me. I wouldn't go anywhere without my faithful friend Pokie. Unfortunately she would occasionally talk me into mischief and I always seemed to get blamed for it. Go figure! Well finally I can have an actual real live animal to blame when things go wrong. Pokie was born yesterday and once again- I missed it. :( Seems to be my lot in life. Dumb horses always go into labor durning the night. Well Cody had to get up at 4 am to drive to Boise for a seminar and he came running back in to wake me and say that we had a new foal in the pasture. I jumped out of bed and found her lying on the ground shivering. It is no small thing to go from a warm, wet, safe place to a cold, hard ground. She was shaking so bad I gathered towels and blankets to warm her and spent about 30 minutes lying next to her so she'd get warm. Poor thing. She was also born with a contition called flexor tendon laxidy. Apparently when a foal doesn't have enough room in the mom to grow completly their tendons in the back legs sometimes get messed up. When I first saw her stand up it looked like she had broken her back foot. Instead of steping on her hoof a she was walking on her fetlock. Her whole leg looked like a wet noodle. Well Cody and I were freaking out that she would have to be put down so we called the vet and did some research online and they all said that it would correct itself in a week or so. And sure enough just 2 days later she is doing much better and walking almost normal. I have a picture on my other camera of the night she was born and looked all weird but i can't find the cord to put the picture up. So that will have to come later.
Well regardless we had quite the scare. What was really neat about Pokie and Coco is that they look identical except for the white on their legs. Coco only has one white sock and Pokie has 3. I can't wait to train them on a wagon or sleigh. They are going to be the best matched team out there! The picture at the bottom of both of the horses has Coco in the front and Pokie in the back. Hard to tell them apart except for their size. I wish everyone could come and see them. I was laying out with them today getting a tan and Pokie keep sprinting up and down the length of the fence just kicking and running and jumping having so much fun. Plus her leg is still a little weird so when she started going to fast she'd fall over and nearly scare her mom to death. Such a funny horse!

Well the other picture of me is with the brand new pigmy goat babies at bear world. They are just to die for and I wish I could take them home. Guess I'll just have to be happy with my baby horses. In other news Laura (my sisiter) put her mission papers in on Tue and we now begin the 2-4 week wait to see where she'll go. So exciting!!!



3 comments:

kelleyplus said...

Pokie looks exactly like I always imagined she would. Congratulations on your new addition! You must be so proud.

Dad & Mom

Kyerra said...

That's awesome! Wow! You guys are going to have a lot of horses soon at the rate that you are going since you've been married! *^^*j.k. Anyway, the pics are so cute! I wish that we could see them in real life!

andrea said...

She is so cute! How awesome to have horses like that! I can't wait to see you tonight!!